Sugarcane derived squalane delivers up to 40x more of active ingredients
The human body makes its own version of squalane, but the amount decreases with age. Squalane replenishes lost moisture and gives you back the skin you were born with.
Fed by rainfall alone and processed in a low-waste facility far from rainforests, our sustainably grown Brazilian sugarcane powers local economies as well as performance skincare.
The juice heads to fermentation, while the pulp is used as a sustainable fuel to generate power for our production facility.
Sugarcane juice is fermented to isolate the emollient compounds from other trace elements.
What’s left behind is C30H62—the molecular basis of pure, weightless, odorless squalane oil.
Squalane is at the heart of every Biossance product, making each one gentle and hydrating, yet powerfully effective.
Until Biossance, the closest thing to our skin’s own moisturizing oil
was a substance found in shark livers. Our bioengineered squalane is purer, more effective, and saves 2 million sharks per year from poaching.
We've also partnered with Oceana, whose conservation efforts help keep our seas healthy and abundant—learn more here.
• Squalene is a hydrating molecule found in a variety of plants, animals and in all humans.
• Squalane is a molecule derived from sugarcane that mimics squalene, making it the most effective hydrator for the human body.
• Shark-derived squalene is found in shark livers. It is an unreliable source that is unethical, unsustainable, and causes extreme harm to these apex predators. It also damages the ecosystem of our world’s oceans.
• Squalane sourced from olives produces more waste and uses 500X more land than sugarcane-derived squalane. Olive-derived squalane is inconsistent and can be harmful to the biodiversity of our environment.
• Sugarcane-derived squalane is a perfect match for the moisture found in human skin. It instantly hydrates, locks in essential moisture, and supports the microbiome.
• It has been accepted by the National Eczema Association for its ability to help calm and protect the skin.
• It has been clinically proven to improve skin elasticity.
• Studies have shown that squalane helps other skin care actives penetrate more deeply and work more effectively.