Looking to update your skincare routine in 2023? We’ve rounded up the 7 skincare trends that will dominate the new year.
Read on to learn how to master the biggest skincare trends of 2023 using proven-effective ingredients for your healthiest skin ever.
1. Clean Beauty
In 2023, skincare enthusiasts are looking for products that deliver powerful benefits without negatively impacting the planet, or our health. This means choosing formulas that utilize sustainably-produced ingredients wrapped in eco-friendly packaging.
Biossance was founded on the premise that sustainable, science-backed ingredients are the key to building a more planet-friendly beauty industry. We got our start when our UC Berkeley scientists created sugarcane-derived squalane to replace squalene, a natural moisturizer found in human skin that was originally sourced from shark livers and used throughout the beauty industry. This new, ethically-sourced and vegan squalane is a molecular match for the moisture found in our skin. Our squalane is purer, more stable, effective, and sustainable than shark squalane and it doesn’t have the environmental impact of the other traditional alternative, olive-derived squalane. Compared to olive-derived squalane, sugarcane squalane reduces land use 600-fold and minimizes environmental impact and water usage.
We can make as much as the world needs without negatively impacting the planet. It would take three adult sharks to provide the equivalent amount of squalene needed for ten bottles of 100% Squalane Oil. Biossance eliminated reliance on sharks and can produce the world’s yearly supply of squalane using only 1 sq km of land without requiring irrigation - addressing the world’s needs without depleting the planet, and saving 2 million sharks from slaughter every year.
We aIso use bagasse - the fibrous pulp that remains after sugarcane stalks are crushed to extract their juice - to create our outer cartons. The bagasse is also used to generate electricity to fuel the manufacturing plant. Any excess electricity not used by the sugarcane mill or fermentation plant is released free of charge to power local Brazilian communities.
Finally, all Biossance formulations are developed in a facility certified by My Green Lab—the gold standard for laboratory sustainability practices for responsible usage of energy, waste, and water.
2. Science-Backed Ingredients
One of the biggest 2023 skincare trends will be a step away from wacky TikTok trends and back towards science-backed, data-supported ingredients. People want skincare that works. Anything less is a waste of time and money.
Real, science-backed skincare:
At Biossance, we take it a step further by engineering our ingredients for increased sustainability and efficacy. We like to think of it as putting the nerdy side of science into a petri dish with the charming side of beauty. When mixed together in a controlled environment, you get a product that’s better for your skin, and the planet.
3. Multitasking, DIY Beauty Products
Finding creative uses for multifunctional products is one of the biggest skincare trends in 2023. Expect to see skinfluencers cocktailing their skincare and makeup to boost hydration, alter finishes, and create new products without making additional purchases.
Our award-winning Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil is the perfect example of a multitasking product that can be mixed with others to increase moisturization or add glow. Here are 5 ways to use our multitasking face oil:
- Add a drop or two to any foundation for silky, dewy coverage
- Mix it with lipstick to create a glossy, brightening lip oil
- Touch a drop to each cheekbone to highlight
- Apply a drop on your cuticles or hair ends to lock in moisture
- Use it in a glazed donut skincare routine for the ultimate dewy glow without makeup
4. Invisible SPF
Reef-safe, 100% mineral sunscreen will continue to dominate the discussion about broad-spectrum SPF in 2023, but with an added emphasis on melting into every skin tone.
Skinthusiasts are eschewing the white cast often associated with mineral sunscreen, instead opting for multitasking formulas that provide invisible protection alongside additional skincare benefits.
Our Squalane + Zinc Sheer Mineral Sunscreen is the perfect example. Our reef-safe sunscreen provides SPF 30 PA+++ protection using non-nano zinc to keep your skin protected from harmful UVA and UVB rays while melting into every skin tone.
It also includes three powerful ingredients to provide additional benefits to your skin:
Our non-nano formula is beautiful alone, or under makeup. We recommend using it every morning as the final step in your skincare routine.
“Less is more” is the unifying thread woven throughout 2023’s skincare trends. With this increased emphasis on multitasking products, more people are streamlining their beauty routines to tried-and-true essentials that address a wide range of skin concerns.
If you’re interested in simplifying your routine, we recommend looking for formulas containing proven ingredients like retinol, and vitamin c that provide multiple benefits to address multiple concerns in a single product. Start a chat with one of our Clean Beauty Advisors to create an individualized routine to address your unique concerns, or try this easy 4-step routine suitable for every skin type:
- Cleanse with Squalane + Amino Aloe Gentle Cleanser to deep clean pores without overstripping.
- Tone with Squalane + BHA Pore-Minimizing Toner to dramatically resurface and clarify while prepping skin to receive moisture.
AM: Deeply hydrate and visibly brighten and improve the look of dark spots with our Squalane + Vitamin C Dark Spot Serum.
PM: Dramatically improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots with our Squalane + Retinol Night Serum
- Deeply moisturize while improving the look of fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots while fighting free radicals with our Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Moisturizer.
6. The Wet Look
Expect to see glazed donut skin continue trending in 2023, but with a daytime twist. Slicked-back hair paired with dewy skin is set to make a splash this year as celebrities and influencers embrace the nourishing benefits of ultra-moisturized skin.
Take the wet look from the red carpet to your bathroom cabinet with this easy layered routine:
- Double Cleanse. Start your skincare routine with a refreshing gentle cleanse using our Squalane + Amino Aloe
- Treat The Look Of Enlarged Pores. Next, unclog and minimize pores with our alcohol-free Squalane + BHA Pore Minimizing Toner. Natural beta hydroxy acids from willowbark extract work together with squalane to help you get that smooth, flawless, hydrated glazed donut look.
- Deeply Hydrate Delicate Undereye Skin. The skin around our eyes is thinner and more delicate, making it more difficult for this area to retain moisture, which can contribute to crepiness and fine lines. Our Squalane + Marine Algae Eye Cream quenches thirsty undereye skin while minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Use A Peptide Serum. Copper peptides are a naturally occurring plasma made within the human body to help repair tissue. While we make less of them as we age, applying a few drops of our Squalane + Copper Peptide Rapid Plumping Serum can help make up the deficit, making your skin plump, bouncy and visibly smoother…just like a glazed donut.
- Nourish With A Rich, Restorative Cream. Unlike an actual glazed donut, glazed donut skin screams “healthy.” And good health starts with good nutrition. Nourish and repair with our Squalane + Omega Repair Cream. This rich, whipped cream utilizes hyaluronic acid, squalane, ceramides, and omega fatty acids to deeply hydrate while restoring and supporting your skin’s natural barrier. The result: smoother, more radiant skin that stays exceptionally hydrated all day.
- Seal With A Brightening Facial Oil. This final step is truly the lynchpin to nailing this look. Adding a few drops of Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil as the final step in your routine seals in your skincare while turning up your glow about 500 watts . But this step is about more than getting the superhumanly dewy finish you’re looking for. It gets you that glazed donut look while Vitamin C works to improve the look of fine lines, and uneven tone and texture. Squalane hydrates while helping chios crystal oil to penetrate deeply, giving your skin a youthful bounce and a megawatt glow.
- Protect with reef-safe sunscreen. Invisibly shield from damaging UV rays with our SPF 30 PA +++ Squalane + Zinc Sheer Mineral Sunscreen. Our hero hydrator, squalane, boosts hydration and creates a dewy, radiant finish.
7. Clean Skin
Forget “no makeup” makeup. Expect to see more people setting aside their foundation in favor of bare, clean skin in 2023. Similar skinimalism in its emphasis on multitasking products, the clean skin trend leans into the idea that healthy skin is beautiful skin and shouldn’t be masked with makeup.
We recommend incorporating our Squalane + BHA Pore-Minimizing Toner to visibly shrink pores and improve uneven texture while boosting hydration. Follow with serum and moisturizer targeted to your individual concerns, then create a lit-from-within glow with our Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil.
The result: smoother, more radiant, hydrated skin without a drop of foundation.