It’s time to start showing our hands a little extra love—they help us get things done, so they deserve to look and feel their best. Treating your hands to a self-care routine helps keeps skin healthy, hydrated, and soft, especially when it’s been stripped of moisture from all that washing and sanitizing.
Our new Squalane + Omega Repair Hand Cream was formulated to deliver skincare-level results and benefits to the hands. The Omega Repair Cream facial moisturizer you know and love has been reimagined as a heavy-duty, must-have hand hydrator.
Ramya Viswanathan, Biossance’s senior product development manager, created our ultra-rich cream with all hands in mind, so everyone can enjoy the long-lasting, moisturizing effects of its fragrance-free, completely clean formula. Below, Ramya shares everything you need to know about Omega Repair Hand Cream.
What makes this hand cream formula unique from others?
- “Omega Repair Hand Cream is different because its clean formula not only immediately moisturizes, but continuously moisturizes without the need for constant reapplication. Our hands go through so much, especially now. Sometimes a standard lotion is not enough. We’re also seeing more glove usage these days, particularly for those working in healthcare, and sensitivities to certain glove materials. Because of this, we kept the formula entirely fragrance-free to make it universal and suitable for everyone.”
What’s the impact of frequent washing and sanitizing your hands?
- “Frequent washing and sanitizing can have a negative impact on your skin’s moisture barrier, your skin’s mechanism for keeping water inside the skin to keep it hydrated and protected. When your moisture barrier is disrupted, your skin has trouble retaining moisture and can as a result, can be prone to dryness and discomfort.”
What were the challenges of creating Omega Repair Hand Cream?
- “The biggest challenge was creating the perfect balance of intense moisture while still having nice absorption. Since we use our hands so frequently, it can be easy for a moisturizer to get in the way of your typing or work. Thankfully, your skin recognizes squalane, so your hands are nourished without feeling greasy.”
What ingredients should we look for in a good hand cream?
- “Water, humectants, emollients and occlusives. Humectants, like glycerin, are water-soluble ingredients that draw moisture from the air into your skin. Emollients, like squalane, are moisturizing ingredients that help soften skin. Occlusives, like shea butter, are ingredients that help lock moisture into your skin.”
What are the hero ingredients in Omega Repair Hand Cream?
- - “Omega Fatty Acids: These are found in your skin’s natural moisture barrier. In the hand cream, these help support your skin’s barrier function to ensure your hands stay continuously moisturized.
- - Vitamin E (Tocopherol): When I think of nails and cuticles, the first thing that comes to mind is vitamin E. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps keep skin nourished among the daily stressors and the damage that frequent washing can do.
- - Glycerin: Our hand cream is rich in glycerin to offset the harshness of frequent handwashing and sanitizing. This is also what helps hands stay hydrated throughout the day even after washing.
- - Squalane: Our 100% plant-based, renewable, sugarcane-derived squalane helps provide instant hydration and has a lightweight texture, so it’s absorbed quickly by the skin. This is important with a hand cream so you can keep texting or typing right after application without a greasy feeling.”