Here at Biossance, we strongly believe in creating clean beauty products that keep your skin and the planet as healthy as possible.
We’ve developed squalane, a sustainable, plant-based alternative to squalene, a hydrating oil inhumanely derived from shark liver; we’ve supported those helping to save our oceans with grants through our Impact Award; we’ve even launched The Clean Academy, a free educational hub where anyone can go to become an expert in all things clean beauty.
But the truth is, we can only do so much on our own. In the push for a greener tomorrow, we will always be stronger together. To continue to put action behind intention, we’re so excited to launch a new joint initiative that we hope will bring about real and tangible change for the planet and our industry.
Announcing Our New Sustainability Alliance
Today, we are thrilled to announce the formation of a new sustainability-focused alliance with Ren, Caudalie, Herbivore, and Youth To The People–four other fantastic brands that are also making major moves to make the beauty industry more sustainable.
Together, we’ve pledged to significantly and rapidly reduce packaging waste by the year 2025. Currently, almost 70% of packaging waste in the US ends up in landfills. We hope to use our joint influence to dramatically shift that figure in the near future.
How We’ll Do It
The founders of Biossance, Ren, Caudalie, Herbivore, and Youth To The People will meet regularly to share resources, ideas, and solutions to some of the beauty industry's biggest sustainability challenges. Two waste-producing pain points we hope to tackle ASAP: single-use samples and non-recyclable pumps.
We also plan to host open discussions on Clubhouse and consumer masterclasses and activities for World Oceans Day. Additionally, we’ll be partnering with Sephora to inspire our passionate community of changemakers to be more eco-conscious.
Our mission is a monumental one–and it’s one that certainly does not (and should not) belong to the few brands in this alliance. We’d also like to invite other brands to join us in our goal to get to zero waste by 2025. If we all work together to find new ways to make our businesses more sustainable, who knows what kind of change we’ll be able to bring about?
BIOSSANCE Sustainability Initiatives
- - Saving Sharks: Did you know that squalene was originally inhumanely harvested from shark liver? Our sustainably sourced, Brazilian sugarcane-derived squalane saves 2 million sharks every year.
- - Carbon-neutral shipping: We’re officially carbon neutral! For each order shipped, we plant trees—which are incredible, natural detoxifiers— and fund reforestation projects at no additional cost to you.
- - Zero waste by 2025: We’re offsetting our carbon emissions, developing a packaging return redemption program and reviewing our office paper and plastic consumption.
- - Clean formulations: We ban 2,000+ ingredients that are toxic to both you and the environment. All Biossance products are also EWG VERIFIED™.
- - Green Lab certification: All Biossance formulations are developed in a My Green Lab Platinum Certified facility, reducing our environmental impact with every product we create.
- - Recyclable packaging: We’re working toward this by incorporating post-consumer recycled materials into our packaging.
Learn more below about our ongoing initiatives and how Biossance is at the forefront of sustainability, leading through product innovation, processes, packaging and community impact.
As an experienced beauty and wellness writer, I've tested and reviewed countless skincare products–but there are few brands that have impressed me as much as Biossance. I was first introduced to the brand through its award-winning Squalane + Lactic Acid Resurfacing Night Serum and couldn't believe how unbelievably smooth, soft, and nourished my skin felt by the next morning. I’m excited to use my 8+ years of industry expertise to discuss all things clean beauty with you here on the Biossance blog.