Deodorant dissatisfaction. We’ve all been there. From deos that don’t work, to the ones that leave you wondering how to get deodorant stains out of clothes, the pitfalls of poorly performing deodorant are numerous and varied. But research may prompt more questions than answers: Do ingredients in deodorant matter? Can I get effective deodorant that’s natural and good for my body? Why switch to natural deodorant? Does natural deodorant work? Will it stain light-colored clothing? What if I have sensitive skin?
If you (and your pits) are plagued by these and other questions, don’t sweat. We’ve got the answers, and they’re just a scroll away.
Is Aluminum In Deodorant Bad?
If you’ve ever found yourself standing in the middle of the grocery aisle holding a natural deodorant in one hand and an antiperspirant in the other, you’re not alone. Many antiperspirants position themselves as panaceas for your pits, promising smooth, sweat-free underarms for up to two days. It sounds amazing on the surface, but did you ever wonder how antiperspirants stop you from sweating?
Aluminum and other chemicals in antiperspirants work by blocking your sweat glands. Translation: they stop your body from working the way it was built to. We don’t just sweat to cool ourselves, we do it to get rid of waste and toxins. Think of it like taking out the trash. We don’t block off our trash cans and try to cover the smell, we physically remove it from our homes. But when you use an antiperspirant/deodorant, you’re effectively doing that to your body, which doesn’t make much sense. And if you wouldn’t use something that kept you from needing bathroom breaks, why would you use an antiperspirant?
Why Switch To Natural Deodorant: 5 Reasons
1. An effective natural deodorant keeps you feeling and smelling fresh
2. Aluminum-free deodorant enables your body to excrete toxins the way it was meant to.
3. Antiperspirants can actually make perspiration smell worse by disrupting your microbiome and causing bad-smelling bacteria to build up and cause B.O.
4. Aluminum-free deodorant won’t stain light-colored clothing yellow.
5. Natural deodorant can help promote a healthy balance of good bacteria on your skin, leading to less irritation after shaving.
Does Natural Deodorant Work?
It’s the million-dollar question that may have previously prompted you to stick with your outdated, not-so-great-for-your-body antiperspirant: does natural deodorant work? The answer is yes, if you’re patient.
Remember how we told you that antiperspirant blocks your sweat glands and messes with your microbiome? About a week after you switch to natural deodorant, your sweat glands free up and your armpits unleash all the nastiness that was backed up behind that clogging layer of aluminum.
Yes, armpit detox is a thing.
For the first few weeks after switching, you may experience some extra moisture and maybe a little B.O. until your natural, beneficial bacteria can restore balance to your pits.
Just remember that it’s temporary.
Meet Magnesium, Our Natural Sweat Slayer
Understanding why natural deodorant is a better choice is only half the battle. A quick comparison of ingredient labels instantly reveals that not all aluminum-free deodorants are equal, or even good for your skin.
Many rely on the odor-fighting power of baking soda to prevent B.O. Just one problem: baking soda has a very different pH than your skin, which can cause rashes and irritation. As the name suggests, our aluminum-free Squalane + Magnesium Deodorant packs a two-ingredient punch to help reduce perspiration and knock out odor.
Magnesium serves as our sensitive-skin-friendly sweat buster and odor reducer, while squalane helps to deliver active ingredients deeper into the skin while preventing over-drying. The result: smooth, odor-free underarms.
How To Get Deodorant Stains Out Of Clothes
Just because you switched to natural deodorant doesn’t mean the existing yellow stains will magically disappear from your white tees.
Here’s how to get deodorant stains out of clothes:
- Fill a bowl with white vinegar and place the stained clothing inside.
- Soak for one hour. Then, lightly scrub the stained area with a brush.
- Throw your tee into the washing machine and launder as usual. It should come out good as new.
Get Our Clean Body Routine
If you’re switching to a more sustainable, less irritating skincare routine, why stop with your armpits? Treat yourself to smoother, more hydrated skin with our three-step, clinically-proven body routine:
- Exfoliate with our award-winning Squalane + Enzyme Sugar Body Scrub, clinically proven to improve skin’s texture and radiance.
- Fight sweat and odor the natural way with our aluminum-free Squalane + Magnesium Deodorant.
- Get a smoother, more toned appearance with our Squalane + Caffeine Toning Body Cream.
- Deeply moisturize for dewy with our Squalane + Omega Hand Cream for healthy-looking hands and instant comfort for chapped and dry skin.
As a lifestyle writer and journalist, I’m excited to bring my passion for storytelling to Biossance as an Engagement Content Writer. Two things you should know about me: I have a deep love of the ocean (especially sharks) and I’m obsessed with clean beauty. My bathroom cabinet is literally overflowing with my many-layered sustainable skincare routine. This combo is what led me to buy my first bottle of Vitamin C Rose Oil. I was so impressed by the way it improved my skin that I wanted to shout this brand from the rooftops. Three years later, and here I am doing just that. I’m excited to be on this journey of clean beauty innovation with Biossance, and to share it with you here on the blog.