Ever wonder why every time the season changes your skin totally freaks out? Well, colder weather brings drier air that can make keeping your skin supple and hydrated a challenge. Even those of us with oily skin find that suddenly, our skin has more micro-climates than San Francisco. Couple the natural shifts in temperature with heating systems to keep us toasty and our skin’s moisture just doesn’t stand a chance.
That’s why we recommend changing your skincare routine just like you’d change your wardrobe. Here are 5 tips for changing up your skincare routine in the fall:
1) Wash your face less. This might seem totally counterintuitive, but the last thing you want to be doing is stripping your skin of essential oils, which can cause both dryness and an over-production of oil. So, put down your cleanser in the AM and just use warm water to rinse away any oils that built up overnight.
2) Cleanse with oil. Your skin’s oil production naturally slows down a bit when temperatures drop, so again, you want to avoid stripping the skin. Using a cleansing oil like our Squalane + Antioxidant Cleansing Oil will fight oil with oil, without being harsh and kicking your skin into overdrive. We want to keep your skin chill.
3) Exfoliate summer damage away. Summer is for fun in the sun, but what's not so fun? Skin damage from the sun. Make sure you're using an exfoliant like our new Squalane + Gycolic Renewal Facial to polish skin and help remove dead skin cell build-up.
4) Switch to a richer moisturizer. Our Squalane + Probiotic Gel Moisturizer is a bestseller for a reason, but fall temps sometimes require a heavier-duty moisturizer. That’s why we created Squalane + Omega Repair Cream. Whether you switch to it full time in the fall, or just use it at night, it’s got all the right stuff to repair your skin’s moisture barrier and protect it during this tumultuous time.
5) Seal it all in with oil. 100% Squalane Oil is going to be your BFF this time of year. Use it from head to toe to lock in hydration wherever you're feeling dry. It's amazing post-shower as a lightweight alternative to body lotion, or over your moisturizer to seal in all the hydrating benefits.
Fall doesn't have to mean your skin falls apart. Follow these tips to stay ahead of the curve and keep your skin hydrated through winter. You've got this.
Introducing free one-on-one skincare consultations live with a trained skincare expert from the comfort of your couch. Read on to learn about our experts and how they can help with your skincare concerns.
Should you use serum before or after moisturizer? And what’s the difference between serum vs. moisturizer anyway? We’re diving deep into this essential skincare knowledge with this complete guide to serums and moisturizers.