Ever wonder why every time the season changes your skin totally freaks out? Well, colder weather brings drier air that can make keeping your skin supple and hydrated a challenge. Even those of us with oily skin find that suddenly, our skin has more micro-climates than San Francisco. Couple the natural shifts in temperature with heating systems to keep us toasty and our skin’s moisture just doesn’t stand a chance.
That’s why we recommend changing your skincare routine just like you’d change your wardrobe. Here are 5 tips for changing up your skincare routine in the fall:
1) Wash your face less. This might seem totally counterintuitive, but the last thing you want to be doing is stripping your skin of essential oils, which can cause both dryness and an over-production of oil. So, put down your cleanser in the AM and just use warm water to rinse away any oils that built up overnight.
2) Cleanse with oil. Your skin’s oil production naturally slows down a bit when temperatures drop, so again, you want to avoid stripping the skin. Using a cleansing oil like our Squalane + Antioxidant Cleansing Oil will fight oil with oil, without being harsh and kicking your skin into overdrive. We want to keep your skin chill.
3) Exfoliate summer damage away. Summer is for fun in the sun, but what's not so fun? Skin damage from the sun. Make sure you're using an exfoliant like our new Squalane + Gycolic Renewal Facial to polish skin and help remove dead skin cell build-up.
4) Switch to a richer moisturizer. Our Squalane + Probiotic Gel Moisturizer is a bestseller for a reason, but fall temps sometimes require a heavier-duty moisturizer. That’s why we created Squalane + Omega Repair Cream. Whether you switch to it full time in the fall, or just use it at night, it’s got all the right stuff to repair your skin’s moisture barrier and protect it during this tumultuous time.
5) Seal it all in with oil. 100% Squalane Oil is going to be your BFF this time of year. Use it from head to toe to lock in hydration wherever you're feeling dry. It's amazing post-shower as a lightweight alternative to body lotion, or over your moisturizer to seal in all the hydrating benefits.
Fall doesn't have to mean your skin falls apart. Follow these tips to stay ahead of the curve and keep your skin hydrated through winter. You've got this.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
To celebrate International Women’s Day, we’re honoring women who are at the forefront of the clean beauty space. Each of these leaders is deeply dedicated to advancing the clean beauty agenda and making clean the new standard. We chatted with five women in a range of roles—from our very own Biossance President to the woman who leads all things skincare at Sephora—to learn about their inspiration, what they love about clean beauty and their favorite Biossance product.
We’re here to provide clean beauty that’s better for you and the planet. Our sustainable star ingredient, squalane, is nature’s best moisturizer—it’s a powerfully effective head-to-toe hydrator—but its sister, squalene, has a complex sourcing story. Our scientists were determined to create a clean, sustainable and ethical squalene alternative. They discovered a way to bioengineer this mega-moisturizer as safely and effectively as the body does—we call it squalane. It’s made from sugarcane, a renewable resource, saving millions of sharks every year.
There are no items in your bag.