Ethically-produced, sugarcane-derived squalane oil is at the heart of what we do here at Biossance. Not only is it central to our mission of sustainability and ocean conservation, but we also put it in every single one of our products. Why? Because it’s your body’s best moisturizer, hands down.
To celebrate National Oceans Month, we’re launching a Limited Edition Oceana 100% Jumbo Squalane Oil which includes twice the amount of product in 100% PCR packaging. Five percent of every purchase goes to Oceana, the largest international advocacy non-profit organization focused solely on ocean conservation. And 100% of every bottle goes towards helping you get your healthiest, most hydrated skin from head to toe.
Read on to learn how to use squalane oil for your smoothest, softest skin and hair ever.
To explain what squalane is, we need to start with squalene, which is a natural moisturizer found in human skin. You know how plump and supple a baby’s skin is? That’s because it’s full of squalene. Our bodies produce less of it as we get older, which is partly why our skin craves moisture as we age.
Historically, beauty companies have sourced squalene from shark livers, but our scientists found a way to replicate it ethically and sustainably by using bio-fermented sugarcane. Even better: squalane is a molecular match for the moisture found in human skin, making it an incredibly effective bioidentical hydrator.
You may have heard that other skincare brands derive their vegan squalane from olives. When you compare the environmental impact of sugarcane- versus olive-derived squalane, our sugarcane-based production method:
To us, that’s the sustainable skincare equivalent of a mic drop.
Not only is using squalane a sustainable, vegan alternative to squalene, it’s also clinically proven to leave skin more hydrated, smoother, and softer.
You can use 100% Squalane Oil from head to toe for all-over hydration. Here’s how:
1. Seal In Your Facial Moisturizer. Add a few drops of 100% Squalane Oil on top of your moisturizer to seal it in and provide added hydration. You can do this daily as part of a layered skincare routine, or as a sleeping mask when your skin feels dry.
2. Extend The Life Of Your Self-Tanner. Exfoliating before using self-tanner is a key step to getting a smooth and even application. But your effort is wasted if your tan wears off after you shower a couple times. Hydrated skin holds self-tanner better, so moisturizing your skin with 100% Squalane Oil can make your self-tan last longer and wear more evenly. Apply a few pumps after your first post-tan shower, and every time thereafter to keep your faux glow going longer.
3. Help Reduce The Appearance Of Eczema. Our 100% Squalane Oil has earned National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance™, which recognizes product innovations that provide benefits, and improve the quality of life for people with eczema and sensitive skin.
Our customers agree. We heard from one woman who suffered from eczema for 20 years before finding relief with squalane oil. Ask your doctor before trying squalane for eczema. Once you get the green light, use it daily for the best results.
4. Soothe Your Skin After Sun Exposure. UV rays can disrupt your skin’s moisture barrier even if you don’t get burned. Use 100% Squalane Oil to help protect, hydrate and soothe so your skin recovers more quickly.
5. Tame Flyaways. Nothing spoils the luster of a fresh blow-dry like flyaway hairs sticking straight up from your scalp, or winging from the sides of your head. Add weightless control and shine by rubbing a few drops of squalane oil between your palms and distributing through your hair as needed.
6. Hydrate Deeply By Mixing It Into Moisturizer. Add weightless moisture to your favorite face or body cream by cocktailing it with 100% Squalane Oil. Here’s how: place the desired amount of moisturizer into your palm and add a few drops of squalane oil. Mix with your finger until you’ve achieved a uniform texture and pat into skin as usual.
7. Use It As A Hydrating Massage Oil For Face And Body. Indulge in an at-home massage using 100% Squalane Oil for glowing, hydrated skin all over. It’s the perfect companion for your favorite gua sha tool or facial roller, and can help hands glide over sore muscles while providing soothing hydration.
8. Add it To Your Bath. Enjoy a luxurious soak and emerge with softer, more hydrated skin by adding a few pumps to a full tub. This is especially helpful if you have dry or sensitive skin that feels irritated after bathing.
9. Banish Cracked Cuticles. Help promote beautiful, natural nails or showcase your favorite nail art by moisturizing your cuticles with squalane oil before your next mani. Simply apply a drop of squalane oil into each cuticle and rub it in to moisturize the skin around your nails.
10. Give Your Scent More Staying Power. The lipids in our fragrance-free 100% Squalane Oil act like velcro for your fragrance. To achieve this added benefit, apply it before using fragrance to help your favorite scent last longer.